Carved lace platbands on the windows we strongly associate with Russian folk art. Traditionally, Russian people decorated their homes in affordable ways. The most common of these is wood carving. Not a single house was complete without carved decorations. They were performed in two techniques: deaf carving and openwork. The first view was previously a rarity because of complexity (it was performed directly on the log), and now even more so - it is almost never encountered.
Another thing - openwork carving. It has become an integral part of Russian wooden architecture. Carved platbands on the windows in a wooden house were ordered not only by nobles and rich people. Simple peasant huts were sometimes decorated no less fancy. The flowering of this type of folk art came in the XVII-XVIII centuries, it was from that time that most of the wooden art monuments reached us. As, for example, the reconstruction of the wooden palace of Alexei Mikhailovich in Kolomenskoye.
Although initially the doormakers had a completely different function: they closed the gap between the window and the window opening, it saved heat in the house and protected rain from the cracks, small debris, which over time can lead to rotting or mold. In the subsequent began to be designated the advantages which are not connected with practical use of cash cops. Now these advantages can be attributed to a purely aesthetic:
- The name "platband" speaks for itself, because it was located "on the face" of the house. That is, on the part of the house that went outside. Beautiful platbands emphasized the individuality of the owners, their taste and wealth. Please note that in those village houses where the trim plates are preserved, their absence from the butt or behind the house is striking. Although the usual overhead wooden planks are available for practicality.
- When decorating windows, carved cashing can visually enlarge a squat house or pull it up. The air lace of wooden windows and the whole house creates an atmosphere of weightlessness, hiding the heavy construction of the rustic hut.
- Now when the main directions of wooden architecture of different countries in different eras are known, a certain style can be created.
- You can harmoniously use carving to combine buildings, even the fence on the site into a single ensemble.
- In some cases, when making a wooden house, only wooden trim panels will be the only design option.
For a long time, when the villagers sought to the city, and in the cities the private sector was torn down, the trimmers went out of fashion for a long time. If houses were built, they were mostly brick or frame-filling. There was nothing "superfluous" in them, much less carving.
They tried to make the house faster and cheaper. Now the general trend is very similar, but the fashion for everything Russian has somewhat changed the character of the buildings. Many began to put log houses and decorate them as before.
With the fashion on the house from the bar came the fashion for carved decorations at home. Previously, carving was applied to each element of the house. Eaves, shutters, pillars, decorative balusters and supports could be decorated with carving.
It has long been the ridge, which is located at the junction of two slopes of the roof, decorated with a wooden sculpture of a horse, rooster or other bird. Another decoration for the roof is the porches that, with an openwork pattern, come down and decorate the massive ends of the logs that hold the roof.
Like a lace, the cornice is decorated with a carved board - a frieze, at the edges of which beautiful carved towels hang, or in another way “earrings”, fenders. Descending from them downward, the gaze lingers on carved platbands.
They are mounted in two ways:
- Inlay. Such platbands are mounted on glue or nails and called overhead.
- Telescopic method. Installing this way, you need to be prepared for installation difficulties, but the result will please more. In the groove of the box they drive the "beak", which is made on the platband in the form of a protrusion.
Nowadays, those who are going to decorate their home with carvings, often stops on trim, because they catch the eye with their beauty. It is very important that at the same time folk traditions are revived.
The casing consists of the following parts:
- carved kokoshnik, which is located above the window;
- vertically arranged slats;
- towels that are under the windows.
These names, as well as the methods of their manufacture, are traditionally Russian. One feels that they are not one hundred years old. There are additional details with the same names: diadems, hangers, valances, crackers.
If you put the trim on the windows of your house, it will give the house a national flavor and express its individuality. Decorative whimsically matching patterns used to have applied value, now it is just a decorative element. Everyone can choose a pattern not only to your taste, but also taking into account the style of the site and buildings located on it.
The most common ornaments in carved platbands are plant. Russian masters in their desire to capture the grass, flowers and leaves reached tangible heights in their skill. Until now, we find houses with similar ornaments on the windows. And we can admire the carved windows, which are more than half a century.
Very often found platbands with geometric threads. It is believed that this is one of the most ancient types of home decoration. Before mastering the floral ornament, woodworkers carved diamonds, squares, or triangles on the platbands.
The carved frame of windows is carried out mainly of wood. First of all, use wood of those tree species that are least affected by temperature, humidity, and other atmospheric influences. However, each tree has its advantages and disadvantages. Below are the most common types of trees that are used to make the trim house.
The most suitable material for carving. The linden is soft and pliable, with its help it is possible to embody any fantasy, but the platbands are almost never made from it. It is not suitable for cashing at home for the reason that it easily absorbs moisture and is not suitable for those products that are on the street. Sometimes the masters take on such work, but it takes a lot of time to thoroughly process the wood from moisture. Another disadvantage of lime is not strong enough.